Senior Project Engineer – Hydraulic
The Sparrows Group is recruiting a Senior Project Engineer – Hydraulic to join our team at Sparrows in Aberdeen. We are a specialist lifting and mechanical handling contractor that delivers equipment, technology and integrated engineering services to the global energy industry. Our solutions support our clients to optimise their efficiency by ensuring the performance, reliability and safety of critical equipment and people.
With our headquarters in Aberdeen, we employ over 1,600 people across numerous operational locations across the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific.
The main purpose of the role is to contribute to the delivery of projects for internal and external customers. The role is varied, with involvement in all stages of the project i.e. from quotation right through to on-site commissioning / testing. In addition to supporting their own projects, the incumbent will also be expected to support / aid the development of less experienced engineers in the team.
• Liaison with business development team / client to define scope of work
• Preparation of project plan
• Preparation of CTR
• Preparation of quotation
The position requires the incumbent to have experience in the following stages of project management: –
• Project planning: preparation of project plan, work breakdown structure and project schedule.
• Contract review: commercial and technical review of client purchase order / contract, with assistance from the commercial and legal teams as required.
• Financial control: management of cost tracker to monitor resource spend vs budget. Timely action of variation requests in the event of scope creep.
• Design / technical review: lead design / technical review meetings to ensure the project requirements and objectives are met.
• Procurement of materials: raise purchase requisitions.
• Manufacture / refurbishment: work closely with the workshops to manage resources required to deliver the product / system.
• Workpack preparation / review: write or review the workpack to allow the project to be successfully implemented on-site.
• Implementation: support the implementation from onshore or offshore as required.
• Project close-out: prepare close-out report and manual / certification package where required.
• Invoicing: raise invoice instructions and review invoices prior to client issue
• Apply hydraulic knowledge to write workpacks, work instructions and risk assessments to support routine maintenance and upgrade projects.
• Apply logical approach to fault-finding to support issues / breakdowns on-site.
• Apply understanding of industry standards and directives in delivering projects to the required specification.
• Design and review of hydraulic systems, including preparation of hydraulic calculations, hydraulic schematics (using AutoCAD) and component selection.
• Ensure best practice in all areas of system design, construction, testing, installation, and commissioning.
• Working closely with the workshop, oversee manufacture and testing of new, modified, and refurbished equipment.
• Preparation of factory acceptance test procedures and leading testing in the workshop, with client / third-party in witness if required.
• Preparation of project documentation, including functional design specification, technical construction file, operation & maintenance manual, and certification package.
Engineering & Personal Development
• Complete and review individual development plan with the Team Leader.
• It is expected that the incumbent will attend, and actively participate in, all training provided by the company, whether internally or externally provided.
• Carry out continuing professional development necessary to enhance competence and action any gaps identified in their individual development plan.
• The incumbent must adopt a co-operative attitude towards being assigned alternative or additional duties to that which they are primarily employed.
Guidance & Mentoring
• Provide guidance and mentoring of less experienced engineers in the team.
• The hydraulic and electrical teams work closely together, therefore knowledge sharing is actively encouraged.
Business Promotion & Establishment
• Contribute to the establishment sales effort, through direct client contact and meetings, with particular focus on target customers as defined within the establishment business plan.
• When undertaking visits to site or offshore installations, promote and maintain effective communications with Client representatives and Sparrows personnel.
• It is mandatory that the incumbent is familiar with the Company’s HSEQ Policy and takes an active role in the compliance and improvement of Sparrows Integrated Management System. The incumbent must report any incidents, near misses, actual or potential problems with products, services or systems to their Line Manager.
• The incumbent also has legal responsibilities under country-specific health and safety legislation to follow all Company processes and procedures and familiarise themselves with the emergency response arrangements applicable to them. The incumbent is also responsible for the health and safety arrangements of subordinates (if any) and for any persons visiting them while on the Company premises
Qualifications and experience
• HND in mechanical or electrical engineering (candidates without this qualification that have relevant experience will still be considered for the role).
• Experience in a similar role (Project Engineer or Senior Project Engineer).
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) to enable effective liaison with colleagues, suppliers, and clients.
• Strong project management skills and hydraulic knowledge, with the ability to pass on this knowledge to less experienced team members.
• Proficient in the use of MS office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Teams.
• Proficient in the use of AutoCAD.
• BSc or BEng (Hons) in mechanical or electrical engineering.
• Experience with cranes.
• Experience with electro-hydraulic systems.
• Willing to travel offshore with valid BOSIET.
• Familiar with the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU and the process of CE-marking equipment.
No agencies please.
- Sparrows Offshore Services
- Job Reference no: 5669